Like I said, I am a fan of heart healthy foods, but when it comes to sweets–it all goes out the window. Literally. While my family and I do not eat this kind of food regularly, every once in awhile, who could pass this up? Besides, what is the fun of putting super healthy NORMAL breakfast items on the blog, nobody wants to try those. Sugary breakfast here we go!!!
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk (skim milk)
- 1 tbs. canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (I used less butter)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbs. ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 tbs. butter (I used 2 tbs. butter, and added a tiny bit of milk)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (I used low fat, you know, to decrease the “badness” of this breakfast)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Prepare Cinnamon Filling first: In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside. (You want this to rest and ‘set up’ while your preparing the other ingredients. Its best if it gets a little thicker, you don’t want it liquidy)
- Prepare Pancake batter: In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, oil and egg just until batter is moistened. (a few small lumps are fine) OR If using a boxed mix, prepare according to package directions.
- Prepare Cream Cheese glaze: In a medium glass or microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter and cream cheese until melted. Whisk together until smooth, then whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop about 1/2 cup of pancake batter onto the skillet. Snip the corner of your cinnamon filling baggie and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer pancake to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you make the rest of the pancakes.
- When ready to serve, spoon warmed cream cheese glaze on top of each pancake.
Recipe brought to you by MUCHTASTE.